Friday, November 19, 2010

Wacky pathology jokes

At this point the pediatric pathology department is clearly playing a cruel joke, the butt of which is undoubtedly me.  I was mad at first but I guess if anyone needs a good laugh, it's those guys.

I checked in with our CNP in GI again yesterday and while she still has not received word from The Pathologist regarding the polyp, she did thank me for my patience.

So, after the obvious, did they lose the biopsies(?!) my question is this: Am I to believe that hidden deep in the recesses of one of the world's best funded hospitals for children there resides exactly one pathologist?  The backlog truly must be enormous.  With resources so strapped, is he working by candlelight?  No wonder there isn't time to reply to email since the time change.  Dusk comes so early these days.  Has anyone considered the idea of hiring a nurse? an assistant? how about an intern to answer emails?  Heck, maybe it's time to throw caution to the wind and bring in another speech therapist while we're at it.

The anxiety of the past two weeks is waning only because my body can maintain that level of stress for this duration.  Basically, I don't have that kind of time. 

Fortunately I've been able to refocus my efforts on trying to discern the strange bumps and blotches on Roo's back following patch testing this week.  For those of you unfamiliar with patch testing, imagine 30 tiny, dime-size cups of various substances (oh you know, chicken, green beans, fish, wheat, that sort of thing) adhered with surgical tape to your back for 48 hours (see Exhibit A).  Stinky? A bit.  Uncomfortable? A little.  Informative? We'll see.  Roo goes for his final reading with the allergist today.  To me it looks like something flared overnight, but as we all know, I've been wrong before.

Exhibit A

No comments:

Post a Comment